Wednesday, March 3, 2010

100 for $100 Center for the Arts Evergreen

Every year our local art center does a fundraising event called 100 for $100. One hundred artists donate a piece of art, one hundred people buy a ticket for $100. Then they call your number and you get to pick from the 100 pieces of art, that is, if your number is the first one called. You get the idea. It's not a whole lot of fun to be the 100th person called since there isn't much to choose from.

As an artist making a donation, I must admit it is a bit tricky. You don't want to donate something very large or something that is your very best work because you want to reserve those pieces for entering into shows and/or sales venues. On the other hand, you sure don't want to donate something terrible because your artwork speaks for you even when you aren't present! And of course, you don't want your piece to be the last one chosen. So, you try to find a piece worth at least $100 that you want people to want!!!!!

Anyway, it's never an easy choice. This year I'm donating a rather large painting because I don't have many small pieces that I'm ready to give up. Sometimes my small studies need to hang around in case I want to use them to paint a larger painting. So, I'm donating a 20x24 gallery wrapped canvas with deep edges. I think it's got a nice mood, but I have never show it or gotten any feedback, so I really don't know how it will be viewed. Will anyone want it???  I sure hope so. It's a view looking down into one of our open space parks here in Evergreen.

Noble Meadow
20x24, Oil on Canvas

No comments: